BOILING SPRINGS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The primary responsibility of the Musician/Choir Director is to lead the Chancel Choir and play piano/organ
during the traditional Sunday morning worship service. Additional responsibilities of this position are
enumerated below. This person reports to the Pastor and to the Chairperson of the Staff Parish Relations
1. Choose/plan the music for the Chancel Choir in coordination with the Pastor which coincides with the
corresponding scripture, sermon or theme for that specific Sunday. Weekly information shall be
transmitted to the Church office via e-mail no later than the previous Thursday morning by 10:00 AM.
2. Play piano/organ and direct Chancel Choir each Sunday for the traditional service arriving at least thirty
(30) minutes prior to the start of the service.
3. Attend and lead Chancel Choir practice currently held on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 PM.
4. When applicable, play at special holiday services of worship as they occur on the Church calendar (Ash
Wednesday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve, etc.)
5. When applicable, work with the Pastor and Committee on Worship Chairperson in the planning of any
dramas or special celebrations during the year (July 4th, Christmas, Easter, etc.).
6. If possible, play at funerals held at the Church. Compensation to be at an additional rate. If
unavailable, notification should be made as soon as possible, so that a replacement can be secured.
7. The Musician/Choir Director may be asked to play at Church weddings, but is not required to do so.
Arrangements for the wedding compensation amount shall be made personally between the
Musician/Choir Director and the wedding party.
8. Attendance required at Committee on Worship meetings as shown on the church calendar.
9. Inform Worship Chairperson of any required maintenance needed on the piano and organ.
10. Assist in finding a qualified substitute when absent and inform Worship Chairperson.
Job Skills and Requirements:
1. Demonstrate a strong faith and commitment to Jesus Christ.
2. Possess a strong musical background and training with the experience and ability to read music and
play piano/organ for traditional United Methodist hymns, contemporary and gospel music.
3. Possess effective communications skills.
4. Possess good time management skills by being on time for practices and church services.
5. Possess the interpersonal skills needed to relate to a diverse group of people such as the pastor, choir
members, church leaders and church members.
6. Notify Pastor and SPRC Chairperson when unable to perform duties as described during services or
practices. Provide 24-hour notice in advance unless it is an emergency.
7. Pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.